Ask us about our affordable payment options.
DWI Lawyer in Ashland, MO
DWI Lawyer in Ashland, MO. Getting pulled over and accused of driving while intoxicated is almost certainly one of the biggest worries a Ashland-area driver can have. Not only will you be stripped of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a hefty fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your status in the community will take a sizable impact, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be cut off, as countries including Canada bar travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Ashland?
Having an effective and aggressive Ashland, MO DWI lawyer on your case can be — and often is — the difference between being found guilty to DWI and facing all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our veteran St. Louis DWI lawyers fight fiercely on behalf of all our Ashland, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any violation or if you have faced DWI charges before, our firm will give your Ashland DWI case the personal attention you deserve and create a legal strategy that is made to get you the best possible results.
Our record of success for those accused of DWI is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been stopped by a police officer who suspects that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s natural to be nervous. Being stopped by police for any traffic infraction is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” reaction, and this is only increased when you are suspected of impaired driving. Having tried hundreds of Ashland-area DWI cases, our firm suggests that you follow these steps if you are ever pulled over for DWI:
- Find a safe place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or stop at a nearby parking lot. Try not to park on grass.
- Record the entire encounter with your phone. Having your own record of your Ashland DWI stop can greatly improve your case and highlight potential inconsistencies between the police account and what really occured. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any wrong or skipped step can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a password, as well: judges have ruled that police can search and detain unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being aggressive with a cop will only make them more likely to search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. A little politeness is the best thing to do when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but nothing more. Cops are on the lookout for for any excuse to find probable cause and arrest you, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breathalyzer test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for 12 months if you refuse a breathalyzer or blood test, this only applies after you have been arrested for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not always reliable and are only used as a method for an officer to get probable cause to arrest you.
- If you are arrested, talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. Your discussion with an attorney is entirely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a BAC test at the precinct, any issues that arose during your stop, or other questions you might have can make the difference between losing the ability to drive for months and your case possibly being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Ashland, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two components: a criminal process and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you likely know, are serious. Even a first Ashland DWI offense could lead to these consequences under Missouri law, as it is classified as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be restored to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program called SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Ashland, MO, you will likely be facing class A misdemeanor charges, which include these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include a minimum of 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Continuous, verifiable BAC monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a Ashland, MO DWI case relates to your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Ashland-area drivers do not know that you can appeal the automatic suspension or revocation of your license, but only if that appeal is filed within 15 days of your original arrest. When you work with the Ashland, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be confident that our firm will take on both halves of your DWI case urgently and work fiercely to minimize the effect a DWI arrest has on your life. We will obtain evidence, go over the details of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the police report or arrest, and craft a strategy that is designed to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI VictoriesOur track record for getting the best results for our Ashland, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as evidenced by these results:
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Serious felony DUI charges reduced to a lower level.
Contact A Ashland DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have recently been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Ashland, MO, you are probably cognizant that timing is critical when dealing with your case. The sooner you can get a trusted Ashland DWI lawyer to read documents, obtain evidence, and build your defense, the higher the chances are that the effects resulting from your Ashland DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped many Ashland-area residents from all walks of life battle DWI accusations. Our firm combines top-notch legal acumen and aggressive litigation with a pledge to provide personal attention and communication that is unmatched among Ashland DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers guarantee that regardless of what time it is, no matter the situation, and regardless of where you are, they will be able to answer your call and discuss your case or any other legal topic. This is part of our promise of 100% client satisfaction, which our former clients can attest to as well.
After you have been pulled over and charged with DWI in the Ashland, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial consultation and get the veteran Ashland DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group on your case.