DWI Lawyer in Affton, MO
DWI Lawyer in Affton, MO. Getting pulled over and charged with driving while intoxicated is definitely one of the worst fears a Affton-area driver can have. Not only will you be suspended of your driving privileges for at least sixty days, you will have to pay a hefty fine, face increased insurance costs, and have points on your license for years to come. Even worse, your status in the community will take a significant blow, and your ability to potentially travel out of the United States could be limited, as nations such as Canada prohibit travelers with DWI convictions on their record from entering.
Have You Been Pulled Over For DWI in Affton?
Having an aggressive and effective Affton, MO DWI lawyer on your team can be — and often is — the difference between pleading guilty to DWI and facing all its consequences, and having charges reduced or even dismissed. At Combs Law Group, our seasoned St. Louis DWI lawyers fight relentlessly on behalf of all our Affton, MO-area DWI clients. Whether this is the first time you have ever been stopped for any violation or if this is not the first time you are facing DWI charges, our firm will give your Affton DWI case the personal attention you deserve and plan a legal strategy that is designed to get you the best possible results.
Our track record of success for those accused of DWI is second to none, and we are committed to total client satisfaction in everything we do. After you have been arrested for DWI, make (314) 900-HELP your first call. Initial consultations are always free, and Combs Law Group will work with you no matter any financial difficulties you might have to help you beat your St. Louis DWI charges.
What Should I Do After I’m Pulled Over For DWI?
After you have been pulled over by a police officer who believes that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it’s understandable to be nervous. Being stopped by the cops for any traffic infraction is something that can trigger a “fight or flight” response, and this is only heightened when you are accused of impaired driving. Having taken hundreds of Affton-area DWI cases, our firm suggests that you take the following course of action if you are ever pulled over for DUI:
- Find a safe place to pull over. If you are on a road with a shoulder, pull over there, or find a nearby parking lot. Try to avoid parking on grass.
- Record the entire stop with your phone. Having your own record of your Affton DWI stop can greatly benefit your case and find potential discrepancies between the police report and what actually happened. Police officers are mandated to follow a specific procedure in every DWI stop, and any incorrect or overlooked action can result in your case being dismissed. Make sure that your phone is locked and secured with a passcode, as well: courts have ruled that police can search and detain unlocked cell phones.
- Stay calm and cooperative. Being hostile to a police officer will increase the likelihood that they will search your car or subject you to increased scrutiny. Being polite goes a long way when stopped for DWI.
- Remember: you have the right to remain silent. Give the officer your license and insurance/registration, but nothing more. Cops are looking for any excuse to continue an investigation and arrest you, so do not give them one.
- Do not take a hand-heldportable breath test. While Missouri does have an implied consent law that automatically revokes your driver’s license for 12 months if you elect not to take a breathalyzer or blood test, this only is in effect after you have been taken into custody for DWI. Portable breathalyzers are not consistent and are only used as a way for an officer to get probable cause to take you into custody.
- If you are arrested, call a lawyer as soon as possible. Your chat with an attorney is entirely confidential and privileged under Missouri law. Getting advice from an experienced St. Louis DWI lawyer about whether you should take a breathalyzer test at the station, any complications that arose during your stop, or other questions you might have can make the difference between losing the ability to drive for months and your case potentially being dismissed.
Fighting Both Sides Of Your Affton, MO DWI Case
DWI cases in Missouri have two halves: a criminal side and a civil side. The criminal sentences for DWI in Missouri, as you likely know, are stiff. Even a first Affton DWI offense could lead to these punishments under Missouri law, as it is defined as a class B misdemeanor:
- 8 points on your driving record
- Up to 6 months in jail
- Up to a $500 fine
- A 90-day drivers’ license suspension, the last 60 of which can be reduced to a restricted driving privilege (RDP) permit
- Required participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program known as SATOP
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, referred to as an SR-22
What Happens If This Isn’t My First DWI?
If this is your second DWI arrest in Affton, MO, you will likely be looking at class A misdemeanor charges, which carry these punishments:
- No more than one year in jail (any jail sentence for a second DWI must include no less than 10 days of “shock time” in custody before possible suspension of sentence or probation)
- Maximum two years probation
- Fines of no more than $1,000
- The suspension of your driving privileges, which can be between from one to five years
- You must install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device (which keeps someone from starting a vehicle if their BAC is over a certain limit)
- Regular, trackable alcohol consumption monitoring (either by regular breath tests or a wearable device)
- Mandatory participation in a drug/alcohol treatment program
- Required purchase of a high-risk auto insurance plan, also known as an SR-22
The administrative half of a Affton, MO DWI case regards your driving privileges, and how the Missouri Department of Revenue deals with your license revocation or suspension. Most Affton-area drivers are unaware that you can appeal the mandatory suspension or revocation of your license, as long as that appeal is filed within 15 days of your initial arrest. When you hire the Affton, MO DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group, you can be sure that our firm will take on both components of your DWI case without delay and work hard to limit the consequences a DWI arrest has on your life. We will gather evidence, go over the details of your case, identify potential discrepancies in the police report or arrest, and create a strategy that is designed to win.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our track record for getting optimal results for our Affton, MO DWI clients is unequaled, as shown by these results:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
Contact A Affton DWI Lawyer Who Wins | Combs Law Group
If you have just been arrested and accused of driving while intoxicated in Affton, MO, you are definitely cognizant that time is of the essence when dealing with your case. The sooner you can get an experienced Affton DWI lawyer to review documents, gather evidence, and establish your defense, the better the odds are that the effects resulting from your Affton DWI arrest will be greatly limited, if not eliminated.
Combs Law Group has helped a large number of Affton-area residents from all backgrounds fight DWI charges. Our firm melds top-notch legal knowledge and combative litigation with a pledge to provide personal attention and communication that is unequaled among Affton DWI law firms. Our DWI lawyers promise that regardless of what time it is, regardless of the situation, and no matter where you are, they will be able to answer your call and discuss your case or any other legal concern. This is part of our promise of 100% client satisfaction, which our former clients can attest to as well.
If you get pulled over and charged with DWI in the Affton, MO area, make (314) 900-HELP your first call to schedule a free initial consultation and get the experienced Affton DWI lawyers at Combs Law Group in your corner.