DWI Accident Lawyer St. Louis. If you decide to drink and drive, you put both yourself and others on the road around you at risk of significant danger. According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, in 2019 there were 219 accidents resulting in fatalities where alcohol or drugs were involved, and a total of 234 people killed as a result of these accidents–roughly 25% of all fatal crashes and deaths on Missouri roads. Accordingly, judges, legislators, and prosecutors are all working to place harsh penalties on drivers who got into an accident driving while intoxicated.
If you or someone you know has recently been in a DWI accident, regardless of whether they injured any drivers or pedestrians, contacting the experienced DWI accident lawyers at Combs Law Group should be your first step. Our firm has helped many people across the St. Louis area minimize the effect a DWI conviction has on their lives and fights zealously to allow you to maintain your freedom and lifestyle. Call them today at (314) 900-HELP to speak with an attorney and schedule a free consultation about your St. Louis DWI accident case.
What Happens When Missouri Drivers Get In DWI Accidents
In Missouri, regardless of whether you injured another person, if you get into an accident while driving while intoxicated, you will be facing felony charges. The charges vary depending on the circumstances of your accidents:
- If you get into an accident while intoxicated which resulted in any physical injury, the charge is a class E felony. The punishment for this ranges from one year in local jail to 4 years in state prison and a maximum fine of $10,000.
- Drivers who get into accidents while intoxicated that results in “serious physical injury” are charged with class D felonies. Sentences for these range from 2-7 years in prison and a maximum fine of $10,000.
- If a drunk driver is in an accident that results in either a fatality or an injury to a first responder, they are charged with a class C felony. If convicted, this could result in anywhere from 3 to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Intoxicated drivers who get into accidents that result in the death of a first responder face class B felony charges. These result in anywhere from 5 to 15 years in prison.
- Class A felonies for driving while intoxicated are limited to those who have been caught driving while intoxicated and have been previously convicted of a class B felony DWI. Those facing these charges are looking at anywhere from 10 to 30 years in prison.
In addition, drivers who get into accidents while intoxicated are subject to administrative penalties as well. St. Louis drivers who get into accidents while intoxicated will automatically have their licenses revoked for five years, regardless of the result of your criminal case. You may also be required to install and maintain, at your own expense, an ignition interlock device both if you are able to get an restricted driving privilege and after your license has been reinstated.
Some of our recent DWI/DUI Victories
Our aggressive St. Louis DWI lawyers get results like these:
St. Louis County man with previous DUI arrests avoids felony charges.
St. Louis County man with multiple past convictions has DWI charges reduced.
An Experienced St. Louis DWI Accident Attorney Can Make A Difference
Combs Law Group, a top-rated St. Louis criminal defense law firm, has helped all sorts of people across St. Louis defend themselves against DWI accident charges. They take an aggressive, yet understanding, approach to every single one of their Missouri DWI cases. From the moment you begin to work with Combs Law Group, you can rest assured you will only speak with the attorney assigned to work on your case–never an assistant or a paralegal. Our firm leaves no stone unturned when it comes to both the criminal and civil aspects of your case. We work diligently to ensure that your life, career, and freedom are protected and you can put what is undoubtedly a traumatizing incident behind you.
Our firm understands that choosing a St. Louis DWI accident attorney is a decision that should not be taken lightly. Contact us online to learn more about Combs Law Group, or take a look at what some of our previous clients have said about us, as well as the results we have obtained for our St. Louis criminal defense clients.