If you’ve been charged with a DWI in Missouri you need an experienced, friendly, and established DWI lawyer on your side. A DWI is a charge many people think they don’t need to worry about, and don’t consider getting a lawyer until it’s too late. A DWI, especially a second offense or beyond, is a serious charge and so you need to do everything you can to fight it.
What constitutes a DWI in Missouri?
In Missouri, if you are caught with a blood alcohol content over 0.08 you will be arrested for driving while intoxicated. If you are behind the wheel of a vehicle (including a motorboat) while over the alcohol limit or deemed to be intoxicated via drugs (illegal or legal), you can be charged with a DWI.
Do DUI and DWI mean the same thing?
Yes, while many use the term DUI (Driving Under the Influence), the accepted term in Missouri is DWI (Driving While Intoxicated).
What are the consequences of a DWI charge?
Missouri has some of the harshest DWI/DUI charges in the country, and even first-time offenders could face jail time if their case is not properly defended.
You have 15 days to file for an administrative hearing, which is the best time for your DWI attorney to fight to have your driving privileges reinstated. If you miss this grace period, you’ll likely have your license suspended for 90 days. If you have the right defense, you may be able to get restricted driving privileges instated instead.
A first offense DWI is a class B misdemeanor, meaning you may get up to 8 points on your license, up to 6 months jail time, 90-day license suspension, and a fine of up to $500.
If this is your second DWI you need to find an experienced DWI lawyer in St. Louis to defend you as soon as possible. A second DWI usually comes with an instant 12-month driving ban, up to a year in jail, and a fine of up to $2,000.
Of course, these are simply the legal implications. You also need to realize the impact of losing your license, having a criminal record, and even doing jail time may have on your life. If you are convicted of your DWI charge you may not be able to drive to earn your living, and if you go to jail your family may struggle to cope without you. Don’t leave it to chance, get a DWI attorney to fight for your freedom.
Why is it important to act quickly?
In Missouri, a DWI has two components; a civil case and a criminal case. If you act quickly, your chosen DWI lawyer will be able to act straight away to protect your driving privileges (the civil side of your case) immediately following your arrest and for the rest of your case. If you refused to take a breathalyzer test you will be facing an immediate 12-month driving ban, which a DWI lawyer can combat by filing for restricted driving privileges as soon as possible.
The criminal side of your case will take part in the courts where you were charged. While the laws are the same across Missouri (as seen above), the way they are enforced can vary from one municipality to the next, so it’s important to find an experienced and established criminal defense lawyer represent you and fight your charges.
What area does the Combs Law Group cover?
We cover most cities and municipalities in the St. Louis metro area. If you were charged in St. Louis, it’s extremely likely that we can represent your case. Below you’ll find some of the areas we cover, but if you aren’t sure, you can find a full list of the areas and zip codes we cover here.
- St. Charles County DWI Lawyers– We are very familiar with the St. Charles County jurisdiction.
- Chesterfield DWI Lawyers– We’ve had numerous cases in the Chesterfield jurisdiction and are ready to do so again.
- Maryland Heights DWI Lawyers – We are well acquainted with Maryland Heights DWI charges.
- Jefferson County DWI Lawyers – Jefferson County has an average of two DWI arrests a day and we’re here to help if you are one of them.
- Town and Country DWI Lawyers – We’re located in the heart of downtown Clayton, just minutes from Town and Country, so you’re lucky enough to have a top lawyer just down the road.
- Ste. Genevieve County DWI Lawyers– A Ste. Genevieve DWI conviction is a serious one, so make sure you are prepared with a great defense.
- Franklin County DWI Lawyers– Franklin County is well known for its DWI enforcement, so if you’ve been caught out, we’re here to fight for you.
- Saint Francois County DWI Lawyers – We have plenty of experience throughout the St. Louis metro area, including Saint Francois County.
- And many other areas – Find the full list here.
What will a DWI lawyer do for me?
Each lawyer’s process varies, so we can only tell you about our process. Our clients sit down with Chris Combs personally for a free consultation to discuss the circumstances around their case and suggest a strategy moving forward. If they are happy to go ahead and work with us, they will become a priority on our list and have access to us 24/7 should they need us.
To find out more about working with us on your DWI case, click here to call us, or contact us today by filling out a form to arrange your free consultation.
We aim to get back to every inquiry in just two hours, so it won’t be long before you have the best St. Louis DWI lawyer working on your case.