Do I Need to Hire a Lawyer For a Traffic Ticket?
The dreaded traffic ticket. Yes, the one that you want to take from the police officer, ball up, and chuck on the floor of your car and forget about. It unfortunately happens to nearly everyone here in St. Louis or elsewhere throughout Missouri. After the initial shock, anger, and/or embarrassment wears off, your first question might be – Do I need to hire a lawyer?
Yes, it’s a very good idea. Combs Law Group is here to help. We can take care of your traffic ticket right away and get you back on the road in St. Louis without any worry or suspension of your driver’s license. Call us as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free, no-strings-attached consultation.
Do I Need to Hire a Lawyer For a St. Louis or Missouri Traffic Ticket?
The first thing to consider when deciding whether to hire a traffic ticket lawyer in St. Louis is the severity of the offense. Traffic tickets can range from minor infractions, such as a failure to signal, to more serious violations such as driving under the influence (DUI) or reckless driving.
If you’re facing a relatively minor infraction, you might be tempted to handle it on your own. Talk to an experienced attorney at Combs Law Group first. We specialize in handling traffic ticket cases, and we’ll give you our honest opinion on how you should proceed. For a free, no-obligation case review, give us a call at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online.
Why Do I Need to Hire an Attorney For My St. Louis or Missouri Traffic Ticket?
Plan and simple? Because simply paying off a traffic ticket stays on your record. That might work for one ticket. Maybe. But if you have a heavy foot, or the misfortune of getting multiple tickets, the points start racking up. Points on your driving record in Missouri:
- Make your insurance premiums go up
- Show up on background checks and employment screenings
- Lead to your driver’s license being suspended
The point system in Missouri can have a detrimental effect on maintaining your driving privilege. If you accrue too many points, you lose your license for a specific amount of time. The penalties are:
- 8 points in 18 months – 30 day suspension
- 8 points in 18 months two times – 60 day suspension
- 8 points in 18 months three times – 90 day suspension
- 12 points in 12 months – 1 year suspension
- 18 points in 24 months – 1 year suspension
- 24 points in 36 months – 1 year suspension
How Many Points Are Traffic Tickets in St. Louis or Missouri?
The number of points you get depends on the violation in St. Louis or Missouri. The most common carry the lowest number of points, while the most severe carry the highest. A knowledgeable attorney from Combs Law Group can help keep points off your record. An example of the point breakdown includes:
- 2 points for a speeding ticket issued by a St. Louis City or County police officer, which is also a Class C misdemeanor, running a red light, following too closely, etc.
- 3 points for a speeding ticket from a Missouri Circuit Court, or for an excessive speeding ticket (25+ mph over the posted speed limit), which is also a Class B misdemeanor
- 4 points for driving without a license or a permit, or for failing to have insurance
- 8 points for DUI
- 12 points for driving on a suspended or revoked license
You can find a complete list and breakdown of violations and points on the Missouri Department of Revenue website.
Points stay on your record for three years. You can check your driving record by calling Missouri’s interactive voice system at (573) 526-2407, by visiting the Department of Motor Vehicles website, or by calling Combs Law Group at (314) 900-HELP or reaching out to us online.
The Advantages of Hiring a Combs Law Attorney For Your Traffic Ticket
Hiring our legal team puts an experienced traffic ticket lawyer on your side, fighting for justice and protecting your future. Other benefits include:
- Reduced Penalties – A skilled Combs Law Group traffic ticket lawyer will be able to take your driving and criminal record into account, as well as other circumstances like weather conditions or time of day, and negotiate with the prosecution to have the charges reduced or dismissed. This results in lower fines, fewer points, and a reduced risk of losing your license.
- Expertise You Need – Traffic laws in St. Louis and elsewhere throughout Missouri can be complex, and they vary from one jurisdiction or municipality to the next. A lawyer from Combs Law Group who specializes in traffic violations knows the local and state laws and regulations inside and outside, which can be a significant advantage when building your defense or in having your violation reduced or even dismissed.
- Saving You Time and Stress – Dealing with a traffic ticket can be time-consuming and stressful. It’s much like going to the DMV. Form? What form are you talking about? An attorney from Combs Law can handle all the paperwork, court appearances, and negotiations on your behalf, saving you time and reducing your stress levels. Call us right away at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online.
- Protection of Your Rights – When you hire a Combs Law Group attorney, you have someone on your side who is dedicated to protecting your rights. Our lawyers can ensure that law enforcement officers followed proper procedures during the traffic stop, as well as being able to challenge evidence against you if it was obtained illegally.
- Preventing Suspension or Revocation – If this isn’t your first offense, or for more serious offenses, a traffic ticket lawyer can work to prevent the suspension of your driver’s license. If you rely on your vehicle daily for work, it’s imperative that you hire a lawyer today.
Do I Need to Hire a Lawyer For a Traffic Ticket? | Combs Law Group Can Help
With the right help, you can keep your driving record in good standing to preserve your ability to drive, work, and carry on your routine, day-to-day activities. Combs Law Group can help. We keep points off of your record by negotiating with the prosecutor and reducing the ticket to a non-moving violation or dismissing it altogether.
Don’t let a traffic ticket get in the way of enjoying life or your driving privilege. Call Combs Law Group right away at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online to schedule a consultation with one of our knowledgeable lawyers.